Saturday, April 7, 2018

What would you have done ?


              The Billboard quote is from William Henry Tatum, My Great Grand Uncle.

Image may contain: 1 person, text
This was part of a letter home Oct 9th 1862 long before Sherman's March !
The entire letter is here


Image may contain: 1 person, text

After the war My Great Grand Father wrote --

" After an interval of over thirty years of time my memory takes me back to my wartime days
(1861 1865) it seems strange about my experience as a Confederate soldier , yet it is true.
And that I am proud today as a prince of that experience.
  I rejoice with exceeding great joy to know that I and my brother William were soldiers in the Army of Northern Virginia and that I lived in the same days and generation and breathed the same liberty loving atmosphere as Generals Lee and Jackson and that incomparable host of patriots whose valor and heroic achievements for our cause has challenged the admiration of the civilized world .
My brother and I did our duty to the last, we had guns and used them in many hard fought battles to our satisfaction, without either being taken prisoner or receiving only slight wounds once in a while"

John C Tatum



Image may contain: outdoor




I'd have stood with them !

No comments:

Post a Comment