Tuesday, August 23, 2016

CLOSER TO HOME !

A few days ago I went to Blanford Cemetery in Petersburg.

On the way I passed this Church.

It's 20 minutes from my house !


This Church is Beautiful !


I then remembered attending a dedication ceremony a few years back.

So today I stopped by to do what I enjoy doing --
Thanking Confederate Veterans !


It's a peaceful place,well kept!


James Richard Holland                           
9th Virginia Infantry, Company F, Private
Holland was born October 14, 1836, the son of John and ----
Turner Holland. His first wife was Pennie Matthews, his second
was Martha Cofer, and his third wife was Sarah Ann Dixon
(1847-1942), daughter of George and Nancy Matthews Dixon. Holland
died August 8, 1918 .




James Thomas Crocker                           
9th Virginia Infantry, Company F
Crocker was the son of Joseph and Nancy Crocker. He had a dark
complexion, dark hair, dark eyes and was 5'7" tall. He married
Roxanna Turner Matthews, a widow. Crocker died in 1913



( No additional information found )


Joseah H. Underwood                            
13th Virginia Cavalry, Company C & K, Private
Underwood was born April 23, 1825. He married Mary Jane Pierce
(1838-1914). He enlisted in August 1862 and served three years.
Underwood died July 9, 1906 



John Bridger Newman                            
9th Virginia Infantry, Company D, Private
Newman was born October 14, 1821, the son of Thomas and Martha
Matthews Newman. He had a business in Portsmouth. His first wife
was Civilla Ann Gayle, daughter of Alexander and Margaret Gayle.
His second wife was Hannah Urquhart (1835-1926), daughter of John
and Hannah Shivers Urquhart. Newman was 5'8" tall, grey eyes, and
had a light complexion. He was discharged August 11, 1862 under
the Conscript Act (too old). After the war, he was a farmer in
Isle of Wight and Nansemond County. 



( No additional information found )


( No additional information found )

I left all the men I found a Remembrance coin to thank them for their service.

I looked for additional information and posted all I could find.

I'm sure I missed one or two but I looked as hard as I could.

DEO VINDICE !



No comments:

Post a Comment