Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Collards by Dave ---




Collards are a Southern Tradition.
Especially at Thanksgiving and Christmas
And around my house I buy em and I cook em !

This years batch were fresh cut and gotten from a local market.

Image may contain: sky, car, tree and outdoor

I got em home and proudly displayed them !


The price was scary --


A Helluva good batch !

I like to cut the veins out of mine before I chop em -


Then I chop em up and soak em in salt water -
(some folks use Baking Soda also)

I will mush em and flip em a few times to make sure they are right !

The water will start turning green !

After an hour or so we fill the pot

Start off with a bit of meat
I got some seasoning meat at the same store --

This meat also makes good omelets and biscuit meat, I might have a stroke or heart attack from eating it but I gotta die from somethin and it ain't gonna be hunger ! 

OK meat in the bottom

Then layer collards and meat





Til the pot is full !

I start off with about 2 Quarts of water !


I cover mine with a colander it allows steam to escape but also gives some drip back !


Turn the heat on high ! !

They cook down FAST gotta keep an eye on them !!

Image may contain: food
and add a little water as needed !
Once they cook down, turn down the heat to medium ! 

How long do you cook em ?

Till the're done !

I love collards !
I put a shot of white vinegar on mine !

I know different folks cook em different ways !

But this is how I do it !











No comments:

Post a Comment